Three men died on Christmas Eve and were met by Saint Peter at the pearly gates.
"In honor of this holy season" Saint Peter said,"You must each possess something that symbolizes Christmas to get into heaven."
The first man fumbled through his pockets and pulled out a lighter. He flicked it on. "It represents a candle", he said.
"You may pass through the pearly gates" Saint Peter said.
The second man reached into his pocket and pulled out a set of keys. He shook them and said, "They're bells."
Saint Peter said "You may pass through the pearly gates".
The third man started searching desperately through his pockets and finally pulled out a pair of women's panties.
St. Peter looked at the man with a raised eyebrow and asked, "And just what do those symbolize?"
The man replies, "These are Carol's...?"
-------------
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
6 comments:
Ha..ha..ha..dee..ha
On a more serious note. I have just read the first bit of Chasing Smoke. I can not believe Midnight Ink turned it down. I genuinely hope you find a publisher to take it on soon. Firstly, because you deserve to have it in print, Secondly, I want to read all of it!
You should see my copy of Lost Dog, I have lent it to so many people it is almost falling to bits!! I'll have to get another copy before I can read it again.
I have my fingers and toes crossed that Chasing Smoke will be in a retailers near me soon!!
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Debi. I remain hopeful, but the word I keep getting is there is no market for so-called "small" police procedurals. Of course I think of it as neither small nor a police procedural, but I'm only the writer. My opinion doesn't really count for much in the big scheme of things.
It must be really frustrating for you. There is so much crap that gets published these days, yet good writers still seem to get passed by. But as you say...we're only the writers...what do we know...
I think it comes down to accepting the fact that writing and publishing are only superficially related to one another. Publishers are about selling, and they want it to be easy. They want The Da Vinci Code to randomly fall into their lap from the sky or they want the latest tell-all from Mr. or Ms. Already Superfamous. Those books sell themselves.
And, frankly, readers have to accept responsibility for this too. If we really wanted books with subtlety and depth, we'd demand them. But the reading public, to the extent it even exists anymore, falls for the big idea blockbuster again and again.
You are so right. My blood boils when you hear the deals so called 'celebrities' get for their books...which are mainly ghost written, while the likes of us shed blood, sweat and tears to produce work which is then rejected.
I must admit though I have just bought Johnny Depp's book...for the pictures mainly!
Johnny Depp is easy on the eyes, even I must say.
Post a Comment