
I suppose this is the start of the madness. I haven't done a lot of Googling of myself, but I hear a lot of writers do. To date, there didn't seem to be much reason to bother. But the temptation hits me more and more often, which I suppose means I'll have to join a support group or something. Anyway, I decided to give a fresh go this morning, confirming only that nothing has changed in the land of Google for me.
Shock of shocks, turns out I'm not the only Bill Cameron out there. (Cameron, in case you were wondering, means "Bent Nose." Mine isn't really bent, but it does have a little bump on it. "Bill" is that thing which wants to be a law.) The pleasing news for me is a link to actual me appears fourth in the typical Google list. I'll take fourth. Hell, I'd take fortieth, but how many people ever get to page four of a Google search?
Coming in first, and taking up five of the top ten slots is the late journalist and CBC broadcaster Bill Cameron. He was pretty famous, so I guess I'm okay with him getting all the Bill Cameron attention. Rather handsome too, and no bump in his nose. Hmmm. I wonder if he's using that picture...
Right after Broacaster Bill comes Bill Cameron in England who writes a rather fascinating personal blog. I read it from time to time, but I have yet to comment. It seems like it would be a little weird. "Hi, Bill Cameron, I'm Bill Cameron and I'm reading your blog because we're both named. . . oh, never mind." He strikes me as an interesting person though.
In other Bill Cameron news, one can go dancing with Bill Cameron and the DancePros! My own dancing skills range somewhere between stubbing my toe and falling off the porch, but this particular Bill Cameron is a U.S. Open Swing Dance Champion. And last but not least, we know that Bill Cameron Consulting also provides streaming video of the City of Lufkin City Council. In case you were wondering.
This morning I also tried a variation and searched on "Bill Cameron Lost Dog" because, well, I bet that's going to turn out to be a highly entered search string. Go Go Gadget Specificity, because by golly, I captured the top five spots with this search. And coming in at number 5 this appeared. Wow. Cool.
I should probably end this by saying that this self-indulgent post was brought to you by the letters B and C and by the number "what a dork."
---
P.S.: In spite of the title of this post, I don't speak French. Though when I was in France a few years ago, my brain inexplicably and permanently rewired itself such that when I see the word "EXIT" in glowing letters over a doorway, I have to translate it to "SORTIE" to know that I can get out that way.
10 comments:
I'm not the only Sandra Ruttan either. And the other one lives in Ontario, where I grew up.
But I think now if you google Sandra Ruttan, something like 96 out of 100 of the top hits are solidly me. Kevin counted once.
He was very proud. When I've tried to google some people I've been amazed at how hard it is to find their website.
There is a Julia Buckley in England who is also a writer and, apparently, much more famous and popular than I am. And I HAVE written to her to tell her that I am also Julia Buckley and a writer, but she never writes back. Maybe she thinks I'm spam, or perhaps just an intrusive American bitch.
Bill, when are they going to let you use that gosh darn cover in the book ads? It's a gorgeous cover!
Next week, I'm going to follow Barbara around Bouchercon for hours on end. I picture the conversation going like this:
"Can I show it now?"
"Not yet."
"How about now?"
"No."
"What about now?"
"Uh-uh."
"Now?"
"Young man, don't make me pull this car over..."
Well, maybe not.
Speaking of Barbara, you should try googling Barbara Moore. Go ahead, I dare you.
Barbara Moore
(the less famous one)
Barbara, oh my!
But at least, Julia, turns out I DO get to start showing off now after all. Barbara said so and everything. So now I don't have to follow her around Bouchercon being annoying for hours on end!
So Blogger is being a pain and won't let me create a new post. Probably that outage not due until 4pm has already started.
Later then!
Hi Bill
This is one of the other 'Bill Camerons' who happened to notice in my statcounter log a visit to my own little blog from your blog, just saying 'thanks' for the kind remarks you make about me; I'm in 'Scotland', by the way, not 'England', although both are obviously in Britain. I've had a few interesting contacts over the years from people who googled on my (and your) name, one of the more poignant was from a lady in Long Beach CA whose husband, also Bill Cameron, had recently died and who was idly surfing the web for 'his' name.
Good luck with your writing! :)
there's a guy on myspace -- james, maybe? -- and all top 24 friends are also james. :D
can't wait to see this cover of which you speaketh!
Hi, Bill! Nice of you to stop by. I should have got that Scotland thing right. I actually knew it was Scotland, but in the fever of posting at dawn yesterday, I blinked!
I suppose I must be the one to point out that though "Cameron" may mean "bent nose," the first definition of "bill" has little to do with making laws, but a lot to do with jaws or mouths (and their horny covering, according to Webster).
Can we just call you "Faceman" and imagine you're on the A-Team?
Post a Comment