Monday, January 05, 2009

16 Random Things

I got tagged by Linda for this, after first being tagged by Alafair on Facebook. So here it is in Blog Land!

Rules: Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 16 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 16 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it’s because I want to know more about you.

1. I was born in Cincinnati, Ohio and grew up in Savannah, Pawtucket, and Dayton, Ohio, but have now settled in Portland, Oregon. Possibly forever, though if I win PowerBall, who knows?

2. I have worked as a graphic designer for 24 years. I have zero graphic design education. Also, I hate working in graphic design, and hate even more its bastard child, web development.

3. I've been sucked into the air by a tornado, my feet scrambling mid-air like Wile E. Coyote. Somehow I landed safely on my feet and kept running until I found shelter.

4. Many years later, I was lifted into the air by a wind storm on the beach at Rockaway, Oregon, and later determined that I was carried at least 150 feet before being dumped onto the sand, bruised but otherwise unharmed. Clearly, I am an idiot.

5. I met my wife by finding her cell phone in a coffee shop, then courted her online via email and instant message.

6. During the 80s, I was a truck driver in the Ohio National Guard. I now think that was kinda cool, though at the time I chafed under military discipline. I chafe under discipline in general though. If I was a lawyer, I'd be perpetually in contempt of court.

7. My childhood dog was a dachshund named Gretchen who loved spaghetti more than life itself.

8. Please do not leave an open bag of Sour Patch Kids or Jolly Ranchers near me. I have no willpower.

9. However, I hate watermelon Jolly Ranchers with the fire of a thousand suns.

10. Actually, I dislike melon and squash in all forms, except for pumpkin pie, which is usually mostly sweet potatoes unless made from scratch using an actual pie pumpkin.

11. Heaven for me will feature hash browns, cheese of all kinds, coffee, and beer.

12. I used to be a sports fanatic. Now I only follow football, but no longer have a favorite team. I just like watching it.

13. I no longer know when any show I like is on TV, because I just wait for the DVD release and watch via NetFlix. Currently smitten by Battlestar Galactica and Life.

14. I have two half-brothers that I haven't seen or spoken to since our father died in the early 90s. Not sure why not.

15. I wish my dog could talk, at least to me, and realize this probably means I'm a little crazy. This is technically Alafair's thing, but it's pretty much true for me too.

16. I'm eating Sour Patch Kids as I work on this list.

5 comments:

bekbek said...

If I believed in fate, I'd be thinking you should perhaps consider flying lessons. You seem to have a talent for casting yourself into the winds.

If I believed in reincarnation, I'd just know you were a dandelion seed in another life.

As it stands... Awwww, cell phone story pretty!

Bill Cameron said...

Considering my fear of flying, I kinda like the dandelion in a previous life theory better.

Linda L. Richards said...

Good job!

Cheese rocks! Dawgz talks. Life be good.

(My Word Verification on this one is "firalint." What do you figure that is?

Karen from Mentor said...

Hey, I had two tornado experiences too, first one holding onto a tree root laying in a drainage ditch, the second I was lucky enough to be sitting in a huge tank of a car and watched a barn 150 feet away get demolished.
Enjoyed your list....but puzzled about something,you said your dog doesn't talk. Have you asked him if he's repressing a puppyhood trauma? That might help.
Karen

Nyree said...

Wow, you literally landed on your feet? I would have been too freaked to even remember where my feet were! :) And who isn't repulsed my watermelon jollies? Blech! LOL BTW, I'm all inspired now to write my own factoids.....