Monday, May 21, 2007

Man the Photon Harpoons, Magical Fava Bean*


Just back from Phoenix and a wild and delightful whirlwind tour of Phoenix area bookstores. Above you'll see my lovely chaperones, from left to right: Sharon Anderson, Angie Johnson-Schmit, and Mindy Tarquini. (I'm the one with the beard.) The four of us visited 21 bookstores in two days. And before they joined me, I visited three others while staying with my cousin Sara and her husband John, as well as their delightful youngun Little John.

24 stores in three days. I'm whupped! But what a great time.

And just by weird luck, at the Poisoned Pen Lee Child happened to be presenting and signing. That was a huge thrill, though I couldn't buy his latest because they sold out -- though Angie got a copy. Fortunately, he'll be in Portland on Wednesday so I'll get to see him again.



Saturday evening featured a lovely dinner prepared by Mindy's husband Ian and tons of hanging out, as well as vigorous strawberry daiquiris which eventually knocked me out in a chair in the living room. Hopefully I wasn't snoring TOO loudly!

I had the great pleasure also of meeting Mindy's wonderful younguns, who were funny and polite and such great hosts. I felt so well-cared for all weekend.

It was just a grand time. I can't wait to get myself back down there.

* What do you get when you mix Mindy, Angie, Moby Dick in Space, Hannibal Lector, and two days of driving to lots and lots of bookstores? You get the title of this blog entry.

7 comments:

angie said...

Hahahaha! You were such a good sport, Bill. We'll have to do this again next year when book the second comes out!

Bill Cameron said...

I'm sooo there!

Mindy Tarquini said...

You are a good sport. And so polite. You totally left out the part where Angie bloodied our noses to get that last copy of Bad Luck and Trouble.

Next time, I say we work on diversionary tactics.

Bill Cameron said...

My plastic surgeon says she can save most of my profile.

angie said...

Hey, ya'll may be older, but I'm way meaner!

You should talk to your publisher, see if they'll pony up for the plastic surgeon as a kind of workman's comp claim.


=8O

Mindy Tarquini said...

Who's old?

angie said...

Heh, heh...

YOU ARE!!!

*Runs away*