Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My New Furry Friends


An unexpected highlight of my whirlwind weekend in Phoenix was getting to meet lotsa sweet, furry folk while I was there. I became good friends with Shadow while staying at my cousin Sara's house on Thursday and Friday. Shadow, I'm told, is normally shy around new folks, but we became fast friends right away. He was very snuggly, but could also be dangerous and fierce at need, disemboweling a couple of stuffed animals in a fit of glee. Shadow and I did some hanging out.


Then, at Mindy's, I met Joy, Cirrus, Scunce, and Nene. I only have a picture of me and Joy, with whom I bonded during a number of toe-licking sessions (she licked my toes, not the other way around). Of course, word on the street is she'll lick anyone's toes should they dare to come into her presence while sandaled or barefoot, but I took it as a sign of our new fellowship. We also did some rolling around and belly scratching and generally had a good time. She wiggles with the best of them!

Cirrus was more shy with me, and the kitties, Nene and Scunce, were doing their own thing. But I was excited to meet, however briefly, another Nene, since I am servant to our our own Nene the cat here. (My Nene even gets mentioned in the dedication to Lost Dog, along with the rest of our family menagerie.

So Phoenix wasn't all whirlwind tour and daiquiris. It was also a delightful chance to make some new friends, both two-legged and four!

5 comments:

angie said...

It only seems fair that the author of Lost Dog should be making 4-legged friends while on tour! That Joy is one determined little toe licker, though. Sheesh!

mai wen said...

Aww, my Zoe's a huge toe licker... is Joy part Beagle? We think Zoe's part Beagle and Dachshund. I'm trying to figure out which part is the toe licker.

And my Zoe will also make someone feel special with her toe licking, but truth be told, she's a toe licking slut, any toes that pass her way she's all over it. At times it can be embarrassing when for example we're out in public and the toes belong to a complete stranger.

Mindy Tarquini said...

Joy's a full corgi. Little too full. She's on a diet. She's look a little un-corgi-like because we'd just gotten her shaved down for the summer.

Yeah, we're supposed to comb her coat, not shave it off, but...

life is short.

Joy still talks about ya, Bill.

Bill Cameron said...

Awww, lil' Joy talkin' about me?!

Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Wow! You've been a busy boy. Glad you had fun. The dogs are really cute.