And on page 69 of Lost Dog, she takes Peter's latte back behind the counter and re-steams it, just to warm it up a bit.
Oh. My. God.
You coffee folk know what happened there. And it's all my fault. Ruby Jane would never do such a thing, but alas, for a brief moment she was in the control of an oafish puppeteer.
And here's what's worse. I know you just don't do that. I could have gotten that right. But way back when I wrote the very first draft of that scene, I didn't know it, and later when I'd learned more it didn't stand out because it's not crucial to the scene development. It's atmosphere, a moment when Ruby Jane is being hospitable. But I shoulda fixed it. She coulda been hospitable in a way that didn't shine a glaring spotlight on my ignorance at her expense.
Ruby Jane, I'm sorry.
Now, I learned about this awful betrayal yesterday afternoon when I read from Lost Dog at Murder by the Book here in Portland. My friend Donovan arrived and had marked the place for me! Then, during the Q&A time, I got a staredown from a couple of baristas in the audience (one of whom was my daughter). I deserved it. Of course, if I was gonna be busted on so egregious an error, I'm glad it was by them!
Naturally, I wish I could fix it, for her sake more than my own. But you know, we all make errors, and I doubt this is the only one in Lost Dog. In the end, it may turn out to be the one I feel the worst about because of my respect for Ruby Jane, but that just means I have to work that much harder next time to not make the same kind of mistake.I do want to say thank you to Jean and Barb at Murder by the Book for doing such a lovely job hosting the event. I had a wonderful turn out from friends old and new, and I think I did okay. I realize now I never looked up while reading (Doh!) even though I had practiced exactly that ahead of time, and I meandered more than I meant to in my answers. But it was fun, and everyone was so gracious!
No comments:
Post a Comment