
Blogger ate my LCC post. I am weeping. Look at me. Weeping. I'm like a little girl whose dad told her he was taking her to Disneyland, but took her to a burned-out crack house instead. "Look, honey, it's Mickey the Plague Rat!" Waahhhhh!
So, yeah, a lesson. What would that be? Hmmmm....
Wait. Could it be . . . possibly . . . don't write your long post in Blogger? I shoulda written it in a text editor and did the old copy-and-paste thing. Sigh.
It wasn't that long, actually. It wasn't Sandra long, nor was it Sandra coherent. But I did say a few things. As I recall.
Lemme see if I can remember the high points.
1) I met a buncha cool folks.
2) I actually got more sleep than I get at home, despite staying up late and doing some committed hanging out.
3) No hangovers!
4) Fun panel about swearing. Yeah, I was a panelist, along with Rob Browne and Brett Battles, but since we ran it as open discussion, the real stars were the attendees.
5) I wrote three pages at midnight on Saturday night. This still surprises me.
6) Cool people, did I mention them? Very cool people. The problem with an event like this is there's never enough time to talk to all the amazing folks you meet.
7) I found out I look like Lee Goldberg. "Oh, hi! Are you Lee Goldberg?!" Me: "No, Lee is clearly much more handsome than I am." Them: "Oh, don't be ridiculous! You're very handsome!" Me, thinking: Ha ha, my evil plan worked!
After the conference was over, Sandra rode back to Portland with my lovely wife Jill and me, and we joined Sean Chercover at my home mystery bookstore, Murder by the Book, for a small event. Alas, it was during the Super Bowl, but we got a couple of visitors and had a lovely time, and also got to meet writer Ken Kuhlken, who was there as well. It was small and intimate and very enjoyable.
I'm hoping to talk my lovely wife into writing about what it was like to be at the conference as a spouse of an writer attendee, but so far she's shown about as much enthusiam for the idea as for a visit with Mickey the Plague Rat at Crackhouseneyland.
12 comments:
You don't look anything like Lee Goldberg. Lee always has a bunch of fanfic crazies attached to his hip threatening to write real person slash about him and Paul Guyot.
Don't cry! Sounds like you had a great time - cool people, some much needed sleep & even got some writing done. Not too bad for a con!
Haha, Mindy! Where can I find such crazies? I would like to subscribe to their newsletter.
Angie, you're right. It was definitely a good con.
Any coherence this week is definitely the result of the drugs.
Send some to me, plz.
Is there a particular reason you have a crack house fixation?
Here ya go.
M.G. just clued me in: There's such a thing as Pokemon fandom!
Now I really have seen it all.
Bekbek, I wish I had a good answer for you. Maybe it's because we had a meth house across the street a few years ago, and had to go through the year-long process of tracking comings and goings, writing down license plate numbers, etc., until the police came in early one morning and took the join down. It was cool. They used our house for a command center and everything.
Sure, meth house isn't quite crack house, but crack house has more verbal pungency, don't you think? Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
And, Mindy. Oh. My. God. My life is complete.
Bill, sorry, your stingy government has been trying to crack down on cross-border drug dealing.
They're just so narrow minded.
And, Mindy. Oh. My. God. My life is complete.
You seriously need to get out more, Bill.
I do. I do indeed.
Post a Comment