Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I'm Very Shallow and Empty and I Have No Ideas*


Over at Sandra's yesterday, Mindy said something that strikes me as a fairly common feeling among writers (though please let me know if you feel differently):

"Writers have dozens of stories to tell. The problem is deciding which one, not coming up with another one."

I don't know how common, but it seems like a sentiment often shared by writers. I know I've read and heard some variation on it many times.

But I have a confession to make.

Not me.

I don't have ideas. Okay, that's not strictly true. What I don't have is Ideas. I don't have dozens of stories to tell. I don't even have a handful of stories to tell. Right now I have my Work-in-Progress, plus a kinda rough notion of one or two things that might happen in a future novel, and then a vague image or two which might form the basis of a story set in Victoria, B.C. And, um, that's it. Fresh out at that point.

I couldn't tell you what might happen in, say, the novel after my next novel to save my life, and I probably couldn't tell you much about novel three. There are a couple of things I think I want to try, and see what might happen, but that's it.

I don't have ideas, I have images. I have sense impressions. I never think, I am going to write a story about... because I never know what any story is going to be about when I start writing it.

Lost Dog started with with a scene. In fact, it wasn't even going to be a scene in an actual story. It was an assignment for a class, an exercise. Later, I wrote another scene, completely unrelated to the first, with no clear sense of where it might go. I was interested in a room and how it reflected the person who lived there. I wanted to play with images and character and see what I got.

Later I asked myself what would happen if I had the character from the first scene and the character from the second scene collide. They were different kinds of people with different ways of seeing the world, but what if I created an intersection between the two?

I suppose that's an idea, but I don't think of it as an idea in the same sense as a High Concept Idea. I write through a series of what if questions, but they are always built off of these images of place or person. I grow stories on the level of character and theme. The what if questions drive me in directions that interest me or challenge me.

And then, well, shit happens. Stories develop a shape and an arc through the layering of these sense impressions and the answers to what if questions.

A side effect of this is when I get to the "end" of a story, open questions remain. That's not to say that I avoid resolution, but for me, any story I write is going to be a sliver of a larger story. My intent is always to present a coherent section, but a lot of the time when I get to the end of a story, I'm still asking myself questions about what came next, or what might come before. Maybe I'll write more, and maybe I won't. But the story in my mind is almost always bigger than what makes it onto the page.

Having said all this, I have to admit there are times when I actually write from ideas anyway. "A Tall House" was based on an idea. My current WIP started with an idea, a dream my wife had, though I have to admit I have all but abandoned the original concept she gave me as I've chased imagery and sense impressions. There was a point where I inserted an Idea in lost dog, probably around the second draft, though it kinda fizzled and I ended up minimizing to the point that I'm not sure anyone would recognize it.

Now, one of the questions I often ask myself is what I'm doing writing crime fiction, so often built around the Big Idea, when I never have ideas myself? Part of the answer is the kind of crime fiction that most attracts me. Character-driven, theme-based crime fiction is among my most favorite. John Straley, James Lee Burke, the Scudder novels of Lawrence Block. Yes, those books have ideas, as well as Ideas, but it's the stuff around the ideas that makes them particularly effective for me. Who and Why and not just What.

Some may say this is a semantic quibble. What I call imagery and sense impressions may be ideas by another name. I won't argue the point, though inside me they feel different from what I think people mean when they talk about ideas.

And please don't get me wrong. I read and enjoy -- often adore -- novels built around ideas, as well as Ideas. I just don't think that way. My creativity doesn't grow out of ideas. I don't write because I have stories to tell, but because I am exploring questions that interest me.

- - - - -

*Whoever can tell me where the title of this post is from first gets a free ARC of lost dog as soon as I get them, which may be soon since I have heard rumors on the internets that they have arrived in the mailboxes of at least a few readers and reviewers! :D

12 comments:

angie said...

The title is from the only Woody Allen movie I liked - Annie Hall.

:o)

Did I win, did I?!

And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't have ideas flowing out of me 24/7. I think about a lot of things, "what if's" and "what does s/he want," but not what I'd call Ideas.

Bill Cameron said...

You win, Angie! My first ever blog contest! Now I just need those ARCs to arrive. Soon, I think. I suspect my awesome publicist has to take care of the review copies and the like first.

angie said...

Ah man! That's so cool! I'm totally looking forward to reading it - have been ever since I read your piece about your nomadic childhood. SuperDuperPow!!!

Mindy Tarquini said...

Foul. FOUL, I say! Angie's goofing off, compulsively hitting refresh over here and she's first up with the contest.

I KNEW THAT, TOO! But I was busy, yanno, WRITING. And chauffeuring the muchachos.

Bill, re: ideas vs. what ifs...you way is pretty much my way. Which is why it takes me forever to write a novel.

And before Angie hops in here. It doesn't take me forever to write a novel. It takes me forever to REWRITE a novel.

I want an ARC, too. What can I do get one? So long as murder or heavy physical labor isn't involved, I'm game.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Ideas come from asking 'what if'. And from characters. And from a split second in time when we wonder about something and let our mind wander with it.

I can't tell you what will happen in my third book from now, because I might decide to write a different book by then. Not being under contract I have that wonderful flexibility. I have ideas, sure, and someday hope to tackle them. But my blog post today has given me an idea for something and I don't know when I'll get to that.

And if all else fails Bill, you can always write that three-way.

angie said...

Mindy's such a whiney ass baby. Talk about a million woulda, coulda, shouldas!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Mindy can't have an ARC because there is a murder involved in the book.

Bill Cameron said...

I'm working my way up to my three-way. And as for ARCs, hopefully I will have plenty to spread around. This was my first ever contest, and it was kinda seat of the pants. I know who my buds are though! ;)

And, Sandra, you're right of course about the multifarious sources of ideas. As I said, I may be making a semantic quibble. For me, the distinction is between ideas which are discrete and describable, perhaps better described as High Concept, and notions and ruminations that get reflected through the act of writing. Some coalesce into more discrete ideas, but many don't, at least for me.

And finally, I don't mean to suggest a story based on a great idea can't be wonderful. On the contrary! I just don't work that way myself.

Mindy Tarquini said...

I meant ME murdering somebody, Sandra.

I have some standards, ya know. Not a lot, but they are there.

angie said...

"I have some standards, ya know. Not a lot, but they are there."

Really?

*runs away giggling wildly*

Sandra Ruttan said...

What Angie said.

And did.

;)

anne frasier said...

i usually only have one book i really want to write. but sometimes none. :D sometimes i have an idea in the back of my head that's been there for years but i haven't quite figured it out yet. if i don't write the one book i'm really thinking about, the book i do end up writing doesn't seem to be all it should be. which makes sense.

i just finished lost dog and loved it. i kept wondering how you came up with the idea! i really wonder how you came up with the klepto character trait. i loved that about peter. i think because it was so raw and painful, and such an impulsive need that gave us insight into his past.