
Courtesy of my friend Tracy Sharp, whose new book, Finding Chloe, comes out tomorrow! And also to my sis Sandra Ruttan, whose book, Suspicious Circumstances, comes out next month!
Welcome to the 2006 Holiday Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends!
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Egg Nog, if it's the good stuff, but not a lot because I want my heart to continue to pump after the holidays. But Hot Chocolate is good too!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Yes, "Santa" wraps the presents. And gets paper cuts and always runs out of the good paper just before he's done with the last big gift. But he's not bitter.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Oooooo, colors...
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Not really, no. Unless I have some, in which case I do. But so far this year I don't.
5. When do you put up your decorations?
Well, this year the outside lights are up already, went up on the weekend of Dec 2-3. The indoor stuff won't go up until the weekend of Dec. 15-16.
6 What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Stuffing.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
When I was 14, I dressed up as Santa for the little kids in the family. We were having a big party and I came in after dinner, all Ho Ho Ho-ing and having a good time. My step-brother, then 10 kept staring at me, and at one point he came up and said, "I know who you are." I said, "Yeah, but this is for the little kids, so just go with it, okay?" He just shook his head and said, "They know who you are too." As the party went on, I realized he was right, but everyone played along anyway.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I know it was pretty young, because I remember my mother taking me to a party on Christmas Eve one year -- I think I was six. The family we visited had kids younger than me, and they had to go to bed earlier, but about 10pm I had to go "lie down" in the next room. But then at 11pm I was allowed to get up again. Turns out Santa had come during my nap, and everyone assured me that Santa had probably visited my place as well. I remember looking around and thinking everyone looked a little odd, and that's when I knew. I realize now they were probably a little drunk and unable to maintain the scam with a straight face.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Sometimes. Depends on the year, who may be visiting, and what the plans are for the next day. We have no set tradition.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Lights and ornaments ornaments only. I like it simple, but elegant. I like lotsa lights.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
I mostly dread it, because people in this area lose their minds over a little snow. I enjoy snow in the mountains where I can choose to drive to it, but I'd just as soon not have to deal with it in the city.
12. Can you ice skate?
Not really. I mean, I can scoot around on skates a bit, but I have a hard time stopping and usually crash into the side of the ice rink. But I think it's very fun, actually.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift for Christmas?
I like oddball things. Last year I got great pajamas with pictures of cocktails on them -- they have a 50's space age lounge lizard feel to them, and I totally dig them. I also got the 800-pound Complete Calvin and Hobbes, which is awesomely wonderful. That was just last year, but it's the unusual that pleases me most, I think.
14 . What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Spending it with my family and friends. (This is exactly what Trace said, but I agree so I kept it as is.)
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Pies of various sorts. (Sings) Pies, pies, pies, pies, ohhhh, pies, pies, pies, pies...
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
We don't have any set traditions. We decorate, of course, and I love the lights, but beyond that every year is a little different.
17. What tops your tree?
Usually nothing! After a week or so, maybe a cobweb.
18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
Definitely giving.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
I like just about anything on Vince Guaraldi's "A Charlie Brown Christmas."
20. Do you like Candy Canes?
For decorating, but not so much for eating. Although wintergreen candy canes are pretty good.
10 comments:
You know, I'm pretty sure that the sappy commercials aren't the most important thing about the holidays for me.
I have no idea what I was smoking when I typed that up, but obviously it had an impact...
Whoa, dude...
;)
I got The Boy the complete Calvin and Hobbes for his birthday. He sleeps with one of the volumes under his pillow.
Re: the Santa thing. My kids still try to come up with foolproof arguments why there can't possibly be a Santa.
Silly bunnies.
What the HELL did you do to your poodle?!
She has the holiday spirit!
being a reindeer is serious business.
The things our pets put up with to amuse their humans...
*shakes head in sad, sad disbelief*
OMG, cute doggy alert. Could barely pay attention to your post cuz the doggy's just too darn adorable!
Okay, so I'm an enormous sucker for animals...
P.S. Angie, I assume with the free rent and food our dogs are happy to amuse us! ;-)
People make fun of me for dressing up my dachshund mix, but I only pick out clothes I think she'll like and she Refuses to go out in the could without her jacket on, so she's a willing participant. At least that's how I see it.
Yay, Mai!
Post a Comment