Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Crossing a line

Some may argue that I crossed a line with my little pic down there. They may be right. This post is a direct response to the inimitable Angie, who begs me to add something to push Mr. Writer of Doom down!

The line I am thinking of is a little different. It's a line I crossed sometime in the last week or so, and having crossed it, I find myself in a very unusual space. I realized that I was going to finish my draft of my novel-in-progress.

Now, in a big picture sense, I always assumed I would finish it. But the ending was always in some nebulous future.

I don't think it was a question of simply getting close enough to see the end, though that may have contributed. I also don't think it was a result of finally nailing down the plot at long last, though that may have contributed as well. I don't outline in detail, but I knew where I was heading, and in the end, I'm going to land pretty close to my mark. Some of the details are different, and the path wandered along the way. But I knew where I was going and I've just about got there.

The thing is, I still have some writing to do. The last four chapters exist in bits and pieces. But the the foundation is there. I know what I have to do. And I'm going to finish. I've promised the draft to my agent on Monday, and she'll get it. It feels good, even if I know I have a LOT of work between now and then.

Now, to be sure, it's a first draft. Already I am anticipating some revisions, and I expect once I get a thorough reading from my agent and my critique group, more will come up. That's cool. Hell, that's expected, and I'm looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, back to it! I will be gone the last part of the week and over the weekend for the final push. But then when I get back I hope to get all caught up with everyone again!

(Angie, how did I do?!)

26 comments:

angie said...

Ya did good, Bill! And not just for moving "Mr. Writer of Doom" below the virtual fold (though it is appreciated).

That is so awesome that you're heading into the home-stretch with the finish line insight. What a great feeling - and all this before book 1 hits the shelves! There's always revisions, but getting first draft done & feeling good about it...that's pretty freakin' cool.

Sandra Ruttan said...

I love the picture down there. So phooey on those who don't!

Bill Cameron said...

I like it too, but I can see the need for a change of landscape.

And I had another good evening on the final push! I know I'm going to be revising the hell out of this sucker, but I think I'm laying down solid bones. I only have one major decision left to make, and it will depend on how I feel about the development of the final scene. It's an either/or thing.

Definitely pretty freakin' cool!

Mindy Tarquini said...

You changed this just for Angie?

Wussy man.

angie said...

Don't listen to that procrastinating bee-yatch. She's just pissy 'cause you're almost done with your novel & she's still stuck in rewrite hell.

Mindy Tarquini said...

No, I'm just pissy because I liked the guy bleeding on his keyboard.

angie said...

Mindy needs to stop playing on the internet and taking up valuable comment space on your blog. Huh, huh? Yeah, yeah. That's the ticket...

Mindy Tarquini said...

Why?

angie said...

'Cause, like I said, you're a bee-yatch and you need to get your ass back to work.

Poor Bill. I can't believe he has to put up with Mindy's shit like this.

Mindy Tarquini said...

You're the one who wanted to get rid of the bleeding guy.

angie said...

Well, Mr. Writer of Doom goes away when you've finished your freakin' rewrite. Didn'tcha know?

Dude. I'm so done here.

Peace.

Out.

Mindy Tarquini said...

I'm not the one using the grim reaper for my icon.

Later on, hon.

Mindy Tarquini said...

Disclaimer: This has been a staged fight for the purpose of distracting Bill from his work. No actual friendships were murdered in the flinging of invectives.

Rob Gregory Browne said...

Crossed the line?? I thought it was freakin' hilarious. And I am SOOOOO that guy sometimes.

anne frasier said...

bill, congratulations on the progress with finish line in sight! it seems i rewrite that last scene several times many different ways. i really have to see the words on the page to know if i have it.

Anonymous said...

I love animation. I hate amputation. There's some sort of reasonable balance in that, somewhere.

So, YIPPEE! for going over the edge er, crossing the line, Bill! Wow, I'm still in awww when anybody can get the first words down, let alone come so close to the last.

Have a great finish, see you on the other side.

Bill Cameron said...

It brings a tear of joy to my eye to think my humble blog has hosted a girl fight. Yay!

And, of course I love the Mr. Writer of Doom. And I'm sure he will make a return appearance. After all, I'm cocky and confident right now because I have maybe 20 pages to go and I have a solid idea of what will be in them.

But then I'll sit down and read through the sucker!

angie said...

That's right, Bill. Mindy and I are just girl fightin' clowns for your amusement.

Happy writing!

Bill Cameron said...

But you know what would scare me? Girls fighting clowns.

Clowns. *shudder*

Julia Buckley said...

Congrats, Bill! I envy you. I'm still avoiding my draft. Perhaps you'd consider being my ghost writer? :)

But good for you. How are you going to celebrate? Are you going to Disney World?

Bill Cameron said...

Well, I'll prolly celebrate by taking a nap, maybe catching a movie, noticing my family, and then, when comments from my agent arrive, settling in to repair the all wreckage I didn't notice the first time through!

Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Bill, I had that picture on my blog last year. So I guess I crossed the line too, eh?

Sandra Ruttan said...

You people are all nuts!

Sandra Ruttan said...

And I mean that in a nice way.

Annie Wicking said...

Hi Bill,
What a wonderful blog and I like your cartoon it made me smile.
I was told that it's hard to get your books published in America so well done you.
Do you know anything about the American publishers called "Aspen Mountain Press"
My friend Lo is trying to get his book publishedand doesn't want to get caught out as some writer have with PublishAmerica.

Bill Cameron said...

Hi, Annie,

Thank you, and thanks for stopping by. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Aspen Mountain Press. My own publisher is Midnight Ink, and they've been lovely.