Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Pouring from a thimble


I'm a slow writer. Some days I'm so slow that in two hours I might produce 50 words. It's not always like that, of course. I might never finish a novel at that pace.

But even at my fastest, I tend to plod slowly along. I think of my most typical approach as being akin to pouring from a thimble, because often all I have in me when I sit down to write is a tiny drop of a thought or idea. I fire up the word processor and tip the thimble over, and then take a look at what dribbled out.

For the most part, I write from beginning to end, but at any given moment, my thimbleful might spill out at the leading edge of the writing, at a later point in the current scene, or somewhere else in the story entirely.

If it's too far from my current insertion point, I'll probably go right back to where I was working before. If it's close, I'll often try to find another thimble with something that may help connect the leading edge of the writing to the outlying spill.

A thimbleful might be as small as this:

    I didn't like the sound of that.

It doesn't look like much, but a statement that thin might be all I have when I sit down to write. After I pour it out, I might stare at it for ten minutes before I add something. Or I might pour out another thimble before or after and then try to build the connection between them.

As I work, I may end up with lots of thimblefuls splashed around until suddenly I realize the scene is pretty much done. At that point I go through and massage the suture points. Then I go look at the next scene or chapter and start pouring thimbles again.

Often, once I am fairly deep in a story, a thimbleful will turn out to have ripple effects. Something really small will require attention to scenes already complete. Probably not that unusual for many writers. You're working along and you get a new idea and you need to integrate it throughout the story. Some writers may make a note in a Tasks list:

    In draft two, remember that Edwina is actually Trenton's illegitimate daughter.

They make the note, and then forge ahead. Me? Not so much. When a thimble suggests a ripple, I take care of it while I'm thinking of it. I go back and touch every scene that's affected by the ripple. That actually contributes to the sense that I write slowly. I sit down, pour out my thimble, and the next thing I know two hours have pass and ten chapters have seen tiny incremental changes, but my current leading edge has grown by twelve words. Overall, I suppose I've probably produced several hundred new words, maybe more. But my sensation of forward progress is negligible.

I've tried to use a different approach. I've tried to sit down and just write, pour not from a thimble but from a jug. I've tried to hold off on the integrating the ripples. But it just doesn't work for me. I'll get rolling, write a few sentences in sequence, and then suddenly a thimbleful from somewhere else in the story will bubble into my head and I have to pour it out, no matter where it fits in. Then one thing leads to another and my best intentions are washed away. Usually drop by drop.

The one place where Pouring From the Thimble doesn't normally happen with me is when I'm writing dialog. But I'll save that for a future entry, Dialog Gushers.

I know in Sandra's interview over at Julia Buckley's joint, she mentions producing a draft of a novel in about six weeks. Oh my, I wish. We seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum. So tell me, where do you land?

---

Today at The Killer Year Blog, "More Like Me Than I Want To Admit."

11 comments:

Mindy Tarquini said...

I circle in. I start with a bang up beginning and write like mad. When I get stuck, I go back and rewrite and hope momentum will carry me forward from the point that I'm stuck. Eventually, what that means is an enormous mess that needs untangling at the 2/3 point. Then I hop ahead and write my ending, so I can keep an eye on where I'm headed. Then I try to straighten out the mess. I tried querying my current novel with a mess in the last third. Didn't work. Everybody wanted resubmits with a last third that made sense.

Picky. picky. Hence, my current rewriting binge.

A draft in six weeks? Ha!

anne frasier said...

i second that Ha!


sometimes my writing is poured from a slop bucket. i write an enormous amount of garbage that i never use and it just confuses things and screws up the plot.

angie said...

I'm definitely more of a sloth than a jack rabbit. Some days I get just a few words, some days a little more. I completely relate to the go back and address the ripples NOW. I worked for several hours (close to 9) and ended up with just over 2 pages - mostly due to the fact that I had to go back in put in details earlier, shore up something later, blah, blah, blah. Six weeks? I'd be lucky to have three chapters. Three short chapters.

Sandra Ruttan said...

OMG Mindy, I can't write out of order!

Freak me out!

And yeah, six weeks to a draft, but then there is a rewrite. Usually. I heard of one author who did a first draft of about 100 pages, where there would be a note saying, "Bill and Ted talk about frogs here" and then, once the story framework was in place, they'd go back and write it out in full. I wish I could do that. It sounds so much better than a full rewrite.

anne frasier said...

sandra, i do a little bit of that. maybe i don't feel like writing a small scene, so i insert a note to myself. maybe i should do more of that.

Mindy Tarquini said...

oh man! Do I have notes, Sandra!

And, as far as technique to get to the finish line goes...um, you're the one with the publishing contract, I'm the one who is still chasing agents.

And slop buckets! I have an entire wardrobe of 'em, Anne.

Bill Cameron said...

Well, yeah, I got the slop buckets too.

I will occasionally insert a [BILL AND TED TALK ABOUT FROGS] note, but it's most commonly when it's about something that I need to research. (What kind of frogs do we talk about?)

Later in August I am going to hide at my friend's cabin for a few days, and I hope to find my inner jackrabbit when I do. I have a notion that I'd like to do 10,000 words in 3 days, even if 9,000 of them are crap. Well, even if 10,000 of them are crap. Mostly I want to really push hard and see what I can do. It will be something new for me, if nothing else.

Mindy Tarquini said...

I once wrote 12,000 words in two days.

Derek J Rogers said...

I can write a chapter a day (usually) and I never jump ahead. But I relate to the thimbles. I rely on sporadic thimbles when I'm writing a scene that requires a delicate nuance of emotion or motivation. Too much of a good thing, and it's heavy handed. Too sparse, and the scene doesn't play. Like you, Bill, if I introduce something that ripples backwards, I have to change it all before I start moving forward again. If I know my novel needs changes and I don't make the changes right away, it's like I have a sick child and I'm a bad parent. It get depressed and obsessed until I can get to the computer and fix things. My writing mentor used to say: "Why would anybody want to write a novel? It's fucking hard." Yeah, it is. And I love it.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Mindy, there's no one right way to do it, though.

Uh, write a book, that is. I'm in awe of people who can see the whole picture from the start. My characters are like me - unbelievably evasive!

Anne, it might make things go faster - I don't know. I'd love to try it.

Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

I write in a linear way too. And I'm not the fastest writer on the planet either.