This weekend I was running through the list of members over at the International Thriller Writers web site and I was struck by something. I haven't read books by very many of the authors listed there.
Some, I know, are people like me who, while they're members still don't have actual books out yet. If fact, you'll find members of the Killer Year on that list of ITW members. Some are people who probably only have a few out and are building a following. The names may not be familiar now, but in a year or two or five, things could be different.
Then there are the ones who everyone knows. Big names, must-reads, the folks who sell out multiple printings in hardcover. A few minutes scrolling through that list and the names will pop out at you.
And some of them, I admit, I haven't read.
When all is going well, I read an average of one book a week. Some weeks it's two, some weeks it's none. This last year I've done less reading, which is tough for me, but it seems to be a side-effect of entering the world of publishing, even in a baby-step way as I have. You have to do other things, like write your next novel, and learn about and prepare for promotion, and stuff like that. And then there's the whole day job thing. Brett Battles talked about not having enough time to read just a few weeks ago.
For example, my acquisitions editor sent me an email last week requesting a ten-page synopsis of my novel for the upcoming sales managers meeting, alone with a list of up to three things I will do to promote my novel. The synopsis needs to be thorough and complete, and serve to give the sales folks an overview of the novel in case they don't have a chance to read it themselves.
Now, the funny thing is, up to this point, I'd never written that particular kind of synopsis. Back when I was trying to find a home for lost dog, I'd written various teasers: a brief paragraph, a one-pager, and a two-pager. But the goal of these was not to serve as a Cliff Notes version of lost dog, but to make people want to read the actual novel. So this weekend, I wrote the synopsis. Which, combined with needing to work on my next novel, left little time for me to actually read.
I found it interesting that I was doing something which interfered with my own desire to read that would be used by other people who didn't have enough time to read so they could better sell my novel, which hopefully people will read.
In a good year, I probably read a 100 books. I haven't had a good year in years. Last year, it was more like 70, and I'm hoping, with the help of a few flights here and there to make it 50 this year.
It's not enough.
I love to read. Duh. I want to read more, not less. As I scrolled through the ITW list, all I could think was, "I bet I would dig a lot of these writers, if I could fit them in." And I also thought, "And I can't believe I've never read anything by that person or this person. What kind of reader am I?"
So many of us talk about how our To Be Read stack usually gets taller, not shorter. I feel like mine is going to have to have its own room pretty soon. If it topples off my bedside table one night, my wife and I might be killed. Oy!
I'll end with a question. Who's your "Oh my god, I can't believe I never read a book by THIS person" person? Who do you feel you've passed by and really wish you hadn't? For me, too many people on the ITW membership roll fits that category, but there's one that pops out and surprises me so I'll 'fess up. This is a writer who's be recommended to me any number of times, and I've even had friends hand me copies of his books. And somehow I've never opened one. And not because I didn't want to. This came up, that got in the way, and the years get shorter. I'll find time for him, though. Of that I feel certain. But for now, he'll be the unread Clive Cussler.
8 comments:
I read voraciously until I started writing, five books a week. Now I'm behind on everything.
It's damned embarrassing.
I have a huge TBR pile. I haven't read Clive Cussler either, and hadn't heard of him before ThrillerFest - even my non-thriller/modern mystery reading hubby had heard of him. Sorry, but the dork award goes to me on this one.
Another embarassing thing is that I've tried to read a number of books I bought within the last few months, but, um *whispers* they bore the shit out of me & I can't finish them. I don't have tons of time, so if it's not clicking at the end of five pages, it goes to the bottom of the pile. I feel like such a traitor. Bad, bad writer girl.
I read more in the winter when the girls are in school. Haven't been able to read as much in the summer. I have a huge TBR pile: actually two double stacked bookshelves. Life just seems to get in the way. I will have read seven maybe eight books this month. And i've never read Clive Cussler either. And there are tons of authors I should read but haven't. One that comes to mind is Dennis Lehane. Too many books too little time.
Oh jeez, I have tons of authors on my TBR list that I'm totally ashamed I haven't read. Since I'm one of the "off the beaten path" writers, I had a Psych degree rather than creative writing or literature, and therefore missed out on a lot of the classics. I have yet to read Updike, Roth, Rushdie, DeLillo, Steinback. Have recently lost my virginity to Morrison and Faulkner. I've also been hearing a lot about Lee Child from my Thriller friends as well as a very close friend from high school whose tastes usually coincide with mine (except on The Hours, she hated it for some unfathomable reason!)
My TBR list is ridiculously long and I keep adding more and more books to it that I don't think I'll ever catch up.
I've never read John Grisham. Nor have I read Clive, but he always used to be shelved under "Men's Adventure" when I worked at Barnes and Noble, so maybe that's why I never picked him up. I didn't feel like having a man's adventure. :)
Bill, 50 a year is still great. Ever since I had children my reading has gone way, way down. Unless, of course, you count what I read to them. Like every word, thousands of pages, of Harry Potter.
Julia
PS I had to write that synopsis, too. Killer.
i hate writing a synopsis for something that's already written. and i hate being pulled out of the current project to do it. it's very jarring.
i don't read nearly as much as i used to. sometimes i go months without reading an entire book. :( i'm so ashamed! i tend to read parts of books so i can at least get a taste of a writer's style.
but i'm really looking forward to your book.
It really did toss me out of the groove, Anne. July has been a funky month for me anyway, but to suddenly have to think back on a project that was mostly done a couple of years back was hard. I'd forgotten more about it than I realized. And my momentum on the next one, such as it is, definitely took a hit.
Oh well. After this week, things will open up for me. I have a conference this weekend, and then I can breathe, and hopefully write, more than I've managed the last few weeks.
Meanwhile, I hope lost dog holds up to anticipation, bit I am thrilled you're looking forward to it!
Post a Comment