This past weekend, I had the opportunity to pout to my niece and her friend, age 14, about MySpace. They confirmed what I already knew. I am an old, out-of-touch dork who just doesn't get it.
But in my defense, they did admit that MySpace is "kinda dumb and ugly," and they agree that it's idiotic that you can't post a comment on your own page. Having thrown me that bone, however, they then explained that I can just comment on the blog portion of my MySpace page.
Yeah, right. They can comment on their MySpace blogs, maybe. Me? I haven't figured out which link to click yet. Or if there is a link.
Sigh.
6 comments:
Gosh, I'm just out of college and I know just about as much as you do about My Space! Talk about feeling old.
But it's probably due to the fact that I'm not very tech savvy. I did have to have someone show me how to use Bloglines. What's really odd is that I grew up with a computer programmer mom, brother, aunts, uncles and cousins. You'd think I'd have picked up some of the technology intelligence, but no.
I'm not sure the problem with MySpace is one that would be comprehended via technical savvy. It's just go a really lousy user interface. In fact, technical savvy may be a detriment, since you'd have more knowledge of what constitutes good architecture and information design. MySpace, by being so freaking bad, might be even more confusing.
My day job features a lot of user-interface design work. MySpace fails the first pass questionaire we often use when evaluating a site. That it's successful is, in some ways, not surprising because the central idea appeals to the target audience. But it's still crap. Budweiser and Britney Spears are successful too.
I'm avoiding MySpace like the plague.
Yep. Not hearing anything to make me wanna put the time & energy into MySpace. I'm still figuring out how to use Blogger!
I say, let it go. Is there some compelling reason why you have to be on My Space? Is it peer pressure, Bill? If those other kids told you to jump off a bridge, would you? :)
Well, if they were all the kewl kids maybe...
I'm just proud to know that my hissy fit has had influence.
Post a Comment