The last couple of weeks I have slowed down from my initial blogtastic burst of wordiness. That's probably not always going to be the case. I've just been busy. Blog time has been hard to grab. Next week, I shall be away from the internet (GASP) and my day job for a full-week, off at a cabin in the woods. In anticipation of that, I've needed to get stuff done down here in the real world.
Plus, a few times I've written blog posts that I decided not to post for various reasons. A couple of times, my thinking just sorta petered out and I thought, this is boring and pointless even to me; I will not subject my friends to it. In another case, I turned on the rant faucet and unleashed a torrent of spleen that I decided to keep to myself once it was all done. Not that I'm trying to hide my scary rant side. I just didn't feel like there was anything of great interest to share in this particular post, aside from my passion about the topic, I suppose.
For what it's worth, it was a rant about Little League, inspired by Jeff's post over at First Offenders today. I ended up posting a few comments there instead, a kind of mini version of my unposted freakout here.
Next week is a big week for me. Five full days alone at the cabin, just me and my laptop. My goal is 10,000 words -- which is a lot for that amount of time for me. I have confidence I can do it though. Now I just have to get ready so I can leave without fretting about what didn't get done!
11 comments:
Writing the great American novel in a cabin in the woods. It sounds so romantic. I used to dream of how idyllic that would be. Then, I tried going to my parent's cabin in the San Bernadino Mountains to write. Didn't write a thing. Not one word. Seems I need the chaos of daily life. But I admire your focus and wish you the best of writer's luck. Or an inspring Muse. Whatever works for you!
I was somewhat lost while driving the other day, rambling down some dirt road or other, wondering what I'd got myself into. At one point I glanced at the passenger seat hoping that I'd brought my computer, with a very physical "maps.google.com" feeling in my fingertips.
I think a week away Internet connections is always a good idea. And even better when you have a goal. Good luck, have fun, and remember to take nice big breaths. Try to store up that week-long moment of peace in your cells. It'll come in handy when it becomes time to...
...edit. *evil grin*
Wow, a week in the woods, sounds both enticing and scary. I think ultimately it'd do me good for writing because I'm horrible at concentrating when there's a ton of chaos around me, but I also get antsy and bored and go a little crazy without human interaction for one day, let alone a week!! I don't know what I'd do about that.
What a great adventure and experience! I can forgive you for being sparce on the blogging front for now, but I'd better hear all about your week in the wilderness when you get back!!
Or else... well I don't really have a good threat to finish that with, so I'll just leave it at that! Hopefully the implication of impending doom will put the fear in your bones. :)
You are Thoreau for a modern age. And I love the word "blogtastic."
Have a great week at the cabin,Bill. 10k sounds big, but it's only about 2k a day, right? Sounds like a great opportunity to stretch out and let it roll! Happy writing...
sounds wonderful, bill. whenever i think about doing something similar my next thought is that i don't want to have to WRITE while i'm there!!! hell no!! i can imagine writing down descriptions, but no marathon. but i've never tried it. well, i used to live in a log home on four acres, those four acres surrounded by 80 of timber. (i've mentioned this before. sorry!) anyway, what i was getting at... i would walk around in the prairie grass or timber usually 3 or 4 of times a day. it was an important part of the writing process for me.
oh, what happened to the design on your header? i miss that!
Oh, Bill, I'm going to go through brotherly withdrawal! This sucks!
But I have work to do next week as well, and a niece turning 12, so I'll manage.
A week alone sounds like paradise. I hope you get a lot done!
It should be nice. I have done this before, and found it to be fairly productive. Never this long though. Usually more like 2 or 2-1/2 days. My marathon does include a lot of roaming. The cabin is fifty feet from the river, and there are trails all over through the woods as well.
My days up there usually start with coffee and whatever I decide to eat. A banana or some toast. Or strudel if the bakery has any. Then I take a look at what I did the day before to rev the engines, and then I start typing. Usually I can sit for and hour-and-a-half or two hours before I have to get on my feet and go roam. After my walk (or if it's really hot, my swim!) I get back to the keyboard. Rinse, repeat. I eat at random, and kinda sleep at random too. But all told, I expect keyboard time to be 8ish hours each day.
All in all, if everything goes as planned, the report when I return will probably be: "I wrote a lot."
And, Anne, you're right. What happened to my icon! I need to fix that!
P.S.: Sandra, if I get stir crazy on Wednesday or Thursday, I might drive down into town for an espresso at the cyber cafe and check in!
Enjoy the solitude, Bill!
Post a Comment