Maybe I'm being too picky, but it seems to me that lately, books have more and more typos and formatting errors in them.
Everyone makes typos. In my case, by the time I get to the end of a single paragraph, the chances I'll screw something up reach unity. And it's not like typos and spelling errors haven't always made their way into print.
But I remember a time when stumbling across a mistake was a rare occurrence. When finding one was almost an "Ah-ha!" moment. When I might read for a month before noticing a missing letter, or a misplaced punctuation mark.
Not so any more. This past week I found rampant errors in three different novels, and that's just this week. Furthermore, the nature of the errors seem to be getting worse. Not just a mispelling or two. In one book, I saw an italicized word in one paragraph, with an underlined word in the next. Later in the same novel, a word was both italicized and underlined. Another problem I've noticed cropping up with increasing frequency is paragraphs with no indention, and improper typesetter's quotation marks. And these aren't author's mistakes, a mispelling or typo making it from manuscript to printed page -- it's someone missing a formatting change in Quark Xpress, and no one noticing downstream between layout and press.
I presume part of the problem stems from the fact many, if not all, manuscripts are delivered to publishers in digital form. We ZIP up the Microsoft Word doc and email it off, nits and all. From there, it gets poured into a Quark doc or maybe Frame (or have publishers started using InDesign?). I know people read the draft layouts (including the authors), and I'm sure errors get caught and fixed along the way. But at the same time, our reliance on the digital workflow probably means we gloss over steps in the process that once got more attention.
Computers are "smart" after all. A lot of word processors even have a feature called "smart quotes." We trust them to not fuck things up. But there's smart and there's intelligent. I've often noticed Microsoft Word, for instance, thinks it's smarter than me, making decisions about formatting as I type that often befuddle the hell outa me. I try to take charge of the bastard, but it hangs on to its internal default stylesheets with a death grip. Some of the weirdnesses I see in print, in fact, I attribute to how fucking smart Microsoft Word thinks it is -- but isn't. (Myself, I don't actually write in Word. I hate it. But I have it on hand to transfer final manuscripts into Word format before I ZIP and email them.)
In the old days, a manuscript would arrive typed. Editorial would happen on the manuscript and only when it was ready did it go to the typesetter, whose job it was to set the entire book, using proper marks, etc. I've known a couple of typesetters -- a job that's basically dead, except for the rare specialty press that has an old Linotype machine still functioning. Typesetters were craftspeople. And I think the work they did is starting to be missed, in terms of the quality printed work. They served as one more set of eyes in the design of the book, and they had pride in their work.
No doubt it all comes down to money. I know only a smidgen of what goes on inside the publishing process, but I know that every step costs money. And these days, every step probably costs inordinately more money than it once did. There's probably more pressure on everyone involved to keep costs down in their little piece of the pie. In my day job, I work in graphic design, and I know first hand what it means to feel cost pressure compromise quality.
But understanding why it's happening doesn't make me any less sad that these little errors are becoming more common. I feel like something important is being left behind.
6 comments:
You know, I have a couple reviews to write up, and with the one book I had a major issue that centered around copy edits. It's a simple thing that, in dialogue, if the same person talks for two paragraphs in a row, you don't use closed quotes" at the end of the first paragraph to indicate that.
They didn't. I thought the speaker had changed, but the statement didn't make sense. I ended up re-reading a few sections to try to make sense of it and I have to say IT PISSED ME OFF. Completely broke the momentum of the book.
Is it the author's fault? Possibly, but not likely. Editors actually do have a job to do. I've gone through this frustration as a writer, with submitting my edits and not having them run in the story - the uncorrected version is put out. I've gone through it as an editor, with having people tell me to make their changes for them or saying they don't need to make any corrections (too lazy to fix their typos).
Both positions piss me off. It's one thing if everyone tries their best and one typo or formating error sneaks by, but when you see a bunch of them you start to wonder, "What the hell?"
It does seem to be more common, and I don't know if I notice more because I know more, or if it's just that it's happening more frequently, or some combo of the two (what I suspect) but there is actually one press I'm extremely reluctant to buy books from because of spending $25 for a trade paperback filled with formatting errors - sentences cut off mid-way and shifted down to the next line sort of stuff.
I'm so new to the book publishing process, that I still don't know what to really expect. I've read blogs and articles in Writer's Digest about reviewing galleys, but I haven't actually seen one yet, nor do I know what kind of say I will have about corrections.
I do suffer from the problem of knowing a lot about printing and design though. 20-plus years as a graphic designer will do that for a fella. It probably makes me sensitive to some things that many people wouldn't be. Even taking that into account, a lot of errors I've seen of late would probably stand out to anyone.
I've sent some errors to press myself, and it never feels good. I know it can be all but impossible to catch everything. Some are worse than others, of course, like the time I sent out six-pack carrier artwork with the wrong UPC code on it. Everyone missed it through all the rounds of proofing until a grocery store chain rejected a delivery of 12,000 cases to their distribution center. That one hurt.
A typo or two scattered throughout several hundred pages of a novel is not going to kill anyone. But this systemic increase in errors that I have seen in recent years is really troubling. My wife and I share books. This past week, she simply quit reading a really good book, one that's currently shortlisted for a prestigious award, because there were so many errors. I finished it (and loved it) but I felt terrible for the author. How must it feel to pick up the finished printed book and see so many errors (the vast majority of which had to have been from the layout stage, not manuscript typos left uncorrected)? Not good, I imagine.
"I'm Pacific Northwest writer of mystery and whatever else happens to come to mind. My First novel, lost dog, will be available from Midnight Ink Books in April 2007."
Should that be "I'm a Pacific Northwest writer..."?
-your copy editor/daughter
Ouch.
I think that should be Microsoft's new slogan. Microsoft: We're fucking smart.
Amra, I think you bring a very good point. I have been amazed by hearing all the things that my son isn't being taught in school these days which I was taught. Speaking specifically to your point, his teacher last year actually said to me, "We don't really teach grammar anymore."
I'm obviously not an educator, and I have no idea what the current state of the art is in terms of education research and philosophy. And I suppose this could be the equivalent of saying, "When I was a boy, we didn't HAVE shoes!" But when I was a boy, we learned grammar. (Okay, we were TAUGHT grammar -- whether we actually learned it is another matter.)
Then there's the whole computer thing, the "spell check" phenomenon and various online communities means of communicating. So many people think spell-check means never having to say you're sorry. "Spell check missed it. Oh well."
I'm not a grammar and spelling cop, the way some people are in online forums. It's a medium built upon immediacy, and in the moment a typo or missed word is no big deal.
But is it too much to ask people to write out complete words?
"Hw r u?"
"STFU"
"QQ" (which about a year after I first saw it I finally learned means "Cry more."
I know a lot of this came from the cell phone text messaging world, and I understand the logic of keeping things tight in such a circumstance. And I also know that communities develop their own dialects. Teenagers probably enjoy communicating in a way that their elders struggle with. And language is dynamic -- which is one of the things I love about writing.
But there's a backlash. When you sit down to make a point, especially a good one, clarity is your friend. Skipping 3/4s of the letters in every word is going to lose you a big chunk of your potential audience. And beyond that, I believe it encourages careless thinking.
I may not have much to say, or it may turn out to be dumb as a box of rocks when I say it, but I care enough to at least make an effort to be clear and complete.
Post a Comment