Over at the Killer Year, Sandra tells us that writer's are people too. It brought to mind an email I got a few weeks ago from a writer, and while it's only tangentially related to Sandra's post, it got me to thinking.
I'm not so different from a lot of readers, I imagine, in that when I read a book I like I enjoy saying so. The internet has made it easy to chat with our favorite authors -- just find a web site and fire off the email. And after a little bit they write back!
So when I read books I like, I want to say so. I've had some nice little e-chats as a result. The one thing it does, as Sandra discusses, is humanizes the writers who've provided such a wonderful reading experience to me. These are just folks, after all. Friendly and engaging and often encouraging.
Of course my own efforts as a writer will sometimes come up. I don't thrust it out there -- if I'm writing to say I like your book, I want to talk about your book, not mine. But in the course of conversations my efforts do come up sometimes.
So a few weeks back, I wrote to a writer whose book I'd just finished, all effusive and congratulatory and grateful for the great read. And they wrote back and were friendly and gracious and appreciative, and then they said something that I thought was a little strange. "Of course you don't really count -- you're a writer too."
It was meant, I think, as a bit of self-deprecating humor, and at first I didn't think much of it. But then I got another email from another writer which was gracious and friendly and appreciative and said, "Thank you for your support. Us writers have to stick together, after all." I've heard variations on that message more than once.
As I read Sandra's post this morning, and then bounced over to Murderati and First Offenders, my brain kept drifting back to this message, this implication that my own support was somehow less valid because it was part of some kind of implied obligation within the Guild of Writer Types.
I think the idea that writers support one another is wonderful. I love to do my bit for other writers. I promote books I like at bookstores all the time, most often of writers with whom I've had no contact. I may read a little differently than non-writers, because I'm always looking to learn and grow as a writer myself. But ultimately the pleasure I take in reading is the honest pleasure of a fanatical reader.
I happen to be a guy who has a book coming out next year. That's been a dream for a long time, and I'm just thrilled about it. If all goes well, perhaps I'll have more books published in the future. But even if I don't, even if I'm a one-book wonder (or a one-book blunder) I'll keep reading, and when I read something I love, I'll send off that email saying so. Just because I'm a writer doesn't make me any less a fan. I buy books same as if I wasn't a writer.
That counts, right?
I think it does. I love to read, and I happen to write myself. If I tell you I enjoyed your book, I guarantee you I'm not just saying so. It's not one half of a quid pro quo I make available to members of the guild. I mean it, and I offer it honestly, and with no expectations of anything in return.
9 comments:
I think compliments from writers count more, in a way. Writers have an appreciation for good storytelling and what goes into making a book great.
I admire Rankin 1000 times more for trying my hand at my own books, if that's possible. And not just him, but so many others.
I always figure authors like to hear compliments - not like they don't get enough hurtful reviews. When I like something, I want to say so. But it's harder now, I find.
But GREAT POST Bill! And although I'm a blogger, my compliment counts.
I agree with Sandra. Compliments from writers do count more in a way. You expect them to see the screw ups that a non-writer may not. The subtle things.
My first book is complete and utter crap. But every non-writer I've asked to read it LOVED it and said they couldn't put it down. They loved the story, the characters, the suspense. Even people who weren't readers. They were suprised because they don't like reading but they loved this book.
But the writers I've asked to read it saw all kinds of problems in it, and they were right. So many, in fact, that the book is pretty much unfixable. I'd have to start all over from scratch.
Thankee, Sandra! A compliment from you definitely rates A+ for me! :)
Trace, I hear ya about your novel. My "third" novel was a big hit among family and friends (and at 210,000 words, just plain big period). But the writers who read it saw the real issues, the length being the least of them. It was a great learning experience, but also a novel that will never see the light of day.
Yes, it may have been an attempt at humour that went astray.
A+? Cool!
And Trace, the thing is, your first book sizzled with a very real character. That counts for a lot. Great story, great storytelling. Sure, there's always room for improvment - wait til you read the final version of SC!
Hehehehe Thanks, Sandra :) And I can't wait to read the final version of S.C.
damn! here i thought i had this all figured out as simply a weird thing for somebody to say -- then jason has to pop in and make sense of it all.
as far as compliments go -- something has to really knock me out for me to clap. i don't know why i operate that way, but i do. i can like something, but i usually won't comment unless it goes into the woot zone.
thank god it's friday.
Bill, I choose to take you at your word and believe every compliment you gave me.
Julia
Yeah, I think Jason nailed it. But it's a funny situation. With something that's unpublished, I know I'm less likely to completely "believe" the praise of a loved on not because I don't think they're being honest, but because I know they love me and that's going to color their impressions of my work. I appreciate it, but I'm more likely to take the criticism, positive or negative, of someone involved in the craft -- writer, editor, agent or what have you -- more seriously.
On a completely unrelated note, how many people refresh the Blogger comment window until they get a word verification thingie that they like? Me -- all the time!
Julia! We were exactly at the same time!
Anyway, as you should!
Post a Comment