Be sure to check out Chris Well's interview with Gregg Olson!
Chris Well: Learning Curve: KILLER Q&A: GREGG OLSEN, PT 1
- - - - -
In other news, I continue to bang my head against the last half of that last chapter. I've had about four false starts that I abandoned once I realized what I was doing.
First there was the Deus Ex Machina ending, which not only do I never like when I encounter it in other novels, but was also a complete and utter betrayal of everything I'd done with my character to that point. Axed.
Then there was the Lifetime Movie Channel ending. Weepy and maudlin, though somehow impossible to look away from. Also just didn't fit with what I'd been doing either. Axed.
After that came Captain Obvious. You know, the one where you're reading along and you finish the chapter before and you think, "Well, I hope in the next chapter X doesn't happen, because that is so obvious." And then X happens and you throw the book through a plate glass window. Baleeted!
Finally there was the Dr. Auric Thunderball ending. "Do you expect me to talk, Goldfinger?" "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!" Ten pages of confession, all the while you're thinking (along with Scott, Dr. Evil's son), Just. Shoot. Him. Axed.
The good news is I got all that out of my system. Then I had an idea at midnight last night, so of course I got out of bed (where I had only been for 30 minutes), and slogged down to the computer and tapped out a page or so. I might be on the right track at last. Unless I read the page in the next little bit and realize I'll hafta axe dumb ending number five.
I'll be leaving for Left Coast Crime tomorrow, and my goal has been to have this damned chapter done before I leave. The whole rest of the novel is through a second draft, so this is it. But today will be busy. I'm going to grab some time between packing and getting a haircut, but I have a feeling I'll be working on the chapter early next week yet. Still, so close...
If you happen to be going to Left Coast Crime too, be sure to say hello!
10 comments:
have fun at LCC!
i always write that last chapter about ten times ten different ways. I'll think i've finally settled on something only to rip it up the next time i look at it.
there's so much written about how to keep people turning pages, but not that much about stopping the whole business.
:D
Oh yes, have fun at LCC! A friend of mine is going. I'd love it if you'd say hello to her. I'll email you.
Oh and re: last chapters.
That's not giving me the trouble, There's about 10 chapters in the last third hung about my neck like Marley's chains. I'm not sure that, 'get it right before I die' is a viable commercial writing option.
Well...maybe 5 chapter. Not sure. I write really short chapters. Anyway, it's the part that was everybody's biggest sticking point.
I wish I was going to LCC.
I wish you were coming to LCC too! We could hang out and talk about our recalcitrant chapters! Let me know who your pal is and I will visit wid 'em!
I emailed you, a picture and everything. And I wish I'd used the subjunctive correctly, as you did in my last comment.
yeesh!
Have a fab time, Bill. Can't believe you're doing a con with no sleep - copious amounts of alcohol & coffee should make for an interesting effect on the man with the glowing coals for eyes!
Wow...you mean it gets worse? I've been struggling with my last chapter, too...and i'm only on the outline!
Have a great time at LCC!
WOW Bill!! Wish I could go too!!
Hey, Mindy, your email hasn't arrived. I hope it didn't vanish into the internet ether!
Post a Comment