
I don't outline.
Okay, that's not true. I do sorta kinda outline. When I'm working, I try to think at least a few chapters ahead. Beyond that, I have a target I'm aiming for. Sometimes I even go so far as to write the ending first. I think, "This is a story about...whatever." Then I start writing. Sometimes, occasionally, I actually refer to my outline, should it exist.
lost dog, for example, is a novel about a kleptomaniac who gets caught up in a game of cat-and-mouse with a killer after he finds a dead hooker in the park near his house. When I started writing lost dog, that was all I knew about it. Except I didn't know the main character, Peter, was a kleptomaniac. And I didn't know it would be a cat-and-mouse situation. And I didn't know the dead person was a hooker. But I did know the story had a guy in it. I discovered body right about the time Peter found it at the end of the first chapter.
So what the hell did I know when I started writing lost dog? Well, at the time I was taking a writing class, and I'd been assigned to write a scene with an elephant in it. The assignment formed the basis of my outline, you might say. And so, outline in hand, I wrote a scene in which a guy is wandering through the park at dawn looking for a toy his niece had lost. The toy, I figured, could be an elephant. Except he doesn't find the elephant; he finds a dead hooker. (Looking back, I have to wonder if he even tried to find the elephant.) So I failed to write a scene with an elephant in it, but I succeeded in writing a scene without an elephant in it. So much for my outline.
You may be thinking, okay, so that must be when you started outlining. You had the opening scene, you had a dead body. You were ready to work out what happens next, and where the story will take this lost elephant hunter? A good point to start outlining, right?
Right. And if by outline, you mean, "deciding that in the next scene guy will talk to the cops about finding the body," you'd be right. I did outline that. This is what my outline would have looked like, had I written it down:
Chapter Two: The guy talks to the cops about finding the body. (Also note, the guy's name is Peter, I think. Or maybe David. . . No, Peter. . . David -- figure out later.)
Unfortunately, with the next chapter, chapter three, I veered off my rigorous outlining discipline by starting the chapter before I knew what was going to be in it. At the end of the chapter, I had done some things that I thought were interesting, and so I blundered on into chapter four. My outline, still unwritten, was having a very hard time maintaining its grip on the story.
The problem with me and outlines is that if I write one out, I start disregarding it almost immediately. If, for example, I had carefully outlined those first four chapters of lost dog exactly as I ended up writing them, I wouldn't have ended up writing them that way. In that sense, I am an anti-outliner. Not that I am against outlining. Rather, whatever I write in an outline turns out to be the one thing I do not write in the actual story. I actually admire the writers who have the discipline to work out the story ahead of time and then write it as planned. But I couldn't do it that way myself.
I think that's partly because I'm less focused on plot than character. An outline, while it certainly can contain lots of character notes, seems to me to be more about working out the plot and structure of the story. On those occasions when I do outline, and then start writing, I very quickly discover plot holes that I have to fix as I go along. The process of deciding that X needs to happen is one thing, but writing about X in the context of characters transforms it into Y. As a writer, that transformation is what's actually interesting to me, and it happens whether I outline or not.
I read of a novelist whose editor requires her to produce a complete outline before writing the actual novel. That seems to not be a problem for her, but the notion sounds terrifying to me. If my own editor required that of me, I'm not sure what I'd do. Write it, probably. But I feel certain that the novel that followed would be very different.
This whole thing comes to mind because I am going away this weekend to a lovely little cabin in the woods. My good friends Ted and Melanie own it, and they are letting my wife and son and I hang out there and dabble our feet in the river as we drink beer. One of my hopes for the weekend is that I will get a solid handle on chapters thirteen and fourteen of my current work-in-progress. But if that's going to happen, I need to figure out what's gonna happen in them. I've started to think I need to do a little outlining so I'll know what not to write.
10 comments:
Bill,
I don't outline either, and its allowed for some wonderful discoveries. And that cabin in the woods sounds blissful. (But not the beer).
Julia
I don't really outline. I'll jot ideas down and I use microsoft visio to brainstorm. Love those little bubbles. It's like using post-it notes :)
I have a confession, Bill. It's my master plan for what I'll do after I finally land an agent:
When she tells me I have to give her an outline of my next novel, I'm going to write the novel, then outline it. I'll do that because I couldn't possibly say what happens before I write it. I can tell you what happens in the beginning and I can tell you what happens at the end, but all the middle stuff is up for grabs.
Do you think my plan will work?
"On those occasions when I do outline, and then start writing, I very quickly discover plot holes that I have to fix as I go along. The process of deciding that X needs to happen is one thing, but writing about X in the context of characters transforms it into Y."
oh, that is so true!
i find this also happens with editorial direction. i'll agree to do something, but when i get there i see there's no way in hell it's gonna work. editors don't like that. editors hate that.
m.g. : hah! i did that for a while. or at least i tried, but things started to domino. plus it's hard for me to write a book if i'm not under contract.
i never used to even write a solid synopsis, but i was forced into it because covers and blurbs are often created long before the book is even turned in. i had to learn how to shift gears and produce a pretty solid synopisis for the art and marketing dept. but i sometimes have a hard time sticking to all aspects of that original plot. editors hate that because it could mean they've been pushing and planning for one kind of book while i'm writing something else.
oh, and the cabin?
sounds wonderful!
Mindy, that could easily end by being my technique, should the situation ever arise!
Trace, I'm not familiar with Visio, but sometimes when I'm working out a chapter or two I draw bubbles on a piece of paper with lines between them. Is that the kinda thing you're describing? I do like bubbles.
And last but not least, Julia, aye, the cabin is blissful, though the beer is too. However, the beer is fully optional. Wine, cheese, bourbon, tea, coffee or whatever you like are also encouraged!
I am heading out the door. See ya on Monday!
Oh, hi Anne! You snuck in there while I was chatting with the others.
I have yet to encounter an editorial "request" that didn't work, but then I am a baby, after all. As time passes, I imagine I'll run into that situation -- sounds like it's, er, not all the unusual.
My first novel, of course, was all done before the publisher even saw it, and that will be true of my second one as well, though my agent has read the first half and will make recommendations on the whole thing once I complete the first draft. That will be my first experience of editorial review pre-publication, perhaps. So far, she really liked what I've done with the first half. Hopefully I can keep the momentum going!
Now I really must dash! Have a great weekend!
I didn't outline for a while, and now I've started. It's not completely working yet, but I'm committed to it. It's a different skill than writing, and one that takes time to develop. Most of us were not writers overnight. We can't except to be outliners overnight, either. You have to us a different part of your brain, or so it seems. Of course, my experiment with outlining may just crash and burn. The main problem is, you spend a lot of time on the outline, and then you think: What have I accomplished, really? I don't even have the first chapter written. That, in the end, is the hardest part. You don't know if an outline is any good until you try to execute it.
Derek, I think you make a good point, and I can see the day coming when I may need to develop the outlining skill. But for now, like all the fine ladies here, I tend to know where things start, know where things end, and the middle fills itself in as I go.
That said, I do tend to think ahead to milestones along the way, and at any given point I'm thinking at least one chapter ahead, if not two or three. Depends on the milestone I'm moving toward.
This weekend, I actually had very specific goals for the chapter I was working on, and very specific goals for the next one as well. You might even say I'd "outlined" them. I ended up with a complete draft with the first of the two, and after reading over it this morning made a scrunchy face. I'd followed my plan, and the chapter just came out blech. Not unsalvagable, but filled with things that feel forced into place -- well, I'd kinda done it to myself. I "outlined hard," perhaps too hard, and the result was something that feels phony.
I'll fix it, of course, but the mini-lesson, after bloviating about not outlining, was perhaps to follow my own rule and not outline. Let the characters drive the action.
Oh well. In the end, it's this sort of thing (among many others) that makes writing interesting to me. Always learning.
I've never outlined, preferring the surprise of discovery along the way. But I've also followed a lot of paths to nowhere, and then had to feel my way back in the dark. Maybe I ought to give this outlining thing a try...
Post a Comment