Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Not Tagged, Not It!


Anne didn't tag me, but I decided to answer her questions anyway. And if all goes well with Blogger, after two days of trying I might actually get this puppy posted! Here goes nuthin'!

1. When did you first start blogging and why?

Well, I started about a month or so ago, and mostly did it because it seemed like all the cool kids were doing it and I wanted to be a cool kid too. And now I have the addiction bad. Really, the only thing slowing me down is the fact I have to try to, occasionally, get a little work done.

Blogging seems to be like smoking -- once you start you need a regular fix or you start getting all edgy and cranky. I dodged the cigarette habit in 7th grade by getting busted smoking by my evil stepfather, so it never had a chance to get started, but I have a feeling I'm already fully addicted to blogging.

2. What don't you talk about?

So far, nothing. Down the line, I hope to keep it nothing -- at least, I hope to never consciously self-censor. What I'm hiding back in the dark recesses of my unconscious is an open question.

3. Are you and your blogging persona the same person?

Well, for this blog it's just me. And right now, this is my only blog. I can imagine some day blogging as a character from one of my novels, but for now, I'll stick with being myself.

4. How do you use blogging to build friendships?

I admit that I didn't really think about this aspect of blogging when I started. And I wouldn't say I use blogging to build friendships. If I make friends via blogging, either here or through chatting at other blogs, I think that's wonderful. I have certainly been delighted by the new friends I've made.

It does seem that the internet is replacing the front porch or the coffee shop on the corner (though lots of times the coffee shop on the corner is also a cyber café). There's good and bad in that, I think. I know I don't always like the fact that I spend so much time in front of the computer. And yet the internet makes possible connections and relationships that couldn't exist otherwise. I hope we don't ever lose our need for face-to-face interactions with other people, but I do appreciate the ability to make connections with people from all over the world.

Friendships from afar are a great benefit of blogging, and I treasure that. But I also hope to find opportunities to meet some of my digital friends in person.

5. How would you describe your writing style?

I think of it as projectile writing -- it comes out in a gush, often at velocity.

---

Be sure to check out Sandra's notes from Harrowgate and CJ's post on Sparks and Synchronicity over at the Killer Year blog.

8 comments:

angie said...

Glad you decided to take the leap into the blogosphere! Yes, it is addictive. I hear you about the face to face thing, and still love the coffee shop scene. Still, blogging has been the best way for me to meet other writers and that's been super cool. Part of what made ThrillerFest fun & scary was the chance to meet some of the people in person that I only knew from blogs. Nice way to get the best of both worlds!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Yes, blogging is addictive. It's also fun, and it helps you get to know people.

I'm glad you blog, bro!

Julia Buckley said...

Hey, Bill. Think how many new friends you'll make when the book comes out, and your FANS are reading your blog! (Not that it has happened much to me, alas). :)

anne frasier said...

projectile blogging. laughed out loud on that one, bill.


love the photo too.


you're a great addition to blogland.

i started a character blog last september. it was supposed to follow the book i'm working on, to be released fall of 2007. then i kind of lost interest in it... i don't think i've looked at it for months, but maybe i'll fire it up again at some point.

Bill Cameron said...

Hey, Julia, how has traffic been? With all those interviews (of which I've read almost all) I would think you'd get some action.

My pickle this last couple of weeks has been that I haven't had time to comment as much as I might. I tend to do drive-bys, to read, but then I have to zip off again. Gonna be like this for at least two more weeks, then the day job will ease up a tad and I can gab more.

Mindy Tarquini said...

I read blogs in rotation now. Some days are horribly unproductive, that's when I blog and wander around dropping comments all over the place. When I'm busy and the writing is going well, I forget about my blog. Time flies so fast.

I'm jealous of group blogs like Murderati and Killer Year - there's a new post everyday. Makes y'all look very productive. Mere individuals can't hope to keep up.

Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

I'm glad you're here too, Bill!! I love front porches. *Sigh*

Bill Cameron said...

It's been great. I'm loving my rounds, and pleased as punch to have found you all!