I had planned a longer post for today, but then I work up this morning and ended up writing a long response to Anne's post over at static, and now the day is sneaking up on me. But I have a few tidbits to share from my very fun, very fruitful time at the writers conference last weekend.
The Willamette Writers Conference has two main facets: education and making connections. A lot of people come to the conference for the opportunity to pitch their work to agents and editors. Others come for the chance to learn. And, of course, many come for both. Beyond that, there's the delight of being among fellow travelers, of spending a weekend living our vocation or our avocation. It's a chance to meet thoughtful, generous writers who share what they know so we can all get better.
I noticed one interesting trend: Fiction writers want to know about you. Screenplay writers want you to know about them. Non-fiction writers fall somewhere in between. I say this as a fiction writer who spent a lot of the weekend talking about myself, so obviously I'm the exception to my own generalization. But it was interesting how so many conversations went:
Fiction Writer: What do you write?
Other Fiction Writer: Oh, stories. I'm working on a novel. How about you?
Fiction Writer: Me too. What's your novel about?
Other Fiction Writer: I was just going to ask you the same thing.
Random Attendee: What do you write?
Screen Writer: I'm working on a screenplay. It's about...[twenty minutes pass]...and that's how my grandparents finally made it to California.
Random Attendee: What do you write?
Non-Fiction Writer: I'm working on a book about writers. Can I interview you?
Certainly that wasn't true of everyone, and some of those "screenplays" were pretty fascinating.
Something else I noticed is people who came to pitch viewed the rest of the conference as incidental. The sessions were something to do for a few minutes between meetings with agents and editors. One fellow even said to me, "What are you doing here? You have a deal already."
I went because I want to improve my craft, of course. I want to be a better writer, and for one weekend a year I have a great resource practically in my backyard. I took a wonderful series of classes from Hallie Ephron, and a great two-part class from Larry Brooks. I learned a lot of new stuff, was reminded of much I knew but had let filter into the back of my mind, and found myself challenged as a writer on many, many levels. I feel like the weekend will make my work just a little better, and maybe a lot better if I properly absorb what I learned and put it to use.
In the end, a conference like this is about growth. Some people try to grow their craft, some their careers, some both. It was good for all of us.
6 comments:
Bill--
First, cool new picture. Second, that's a pretty amazing thing you posted at static. Wow. And third, sounds like you had a good experience at the Writer's Conference. I certainly hope Bouchercon helps me hone my craft. My agent didn't like that last thing I sent her, and I am in the dumps. :0
Sounds like an interesting weekend Bill!
BTW, fantastic comment over at Anne's.
bill, i agree with julia and sandra -- that was a fantastic comment you left at my place.
Thank you, my dears! And, Julia, I hope things look up. Sometimes there's just a simple re-examination between good and great. I'm sure you'll figure out what you need to do!
And in any case, there's the big Midnight Ink shindig at Bouchercon where we all get to party together! So Friday Night at B'Con remember the MI party!
I did some work on an independent documentary film entitled, "Pitch." Two guys go to Hollywood to pitch their film.
What was amazing --and probably normal in that business-- was how little they actually talked about their screenplay. The screenplay was so unimportant. And bad. Everything was about the writers and the famous people they were trying to meet.
I can see a conference where only a very few people actually attend for the conference. Everybody is on a pitch.
I'm glad there're a few that actually go for the good stuff.
And you know, the articles in Playboy are good, too!
I think this conference was probably about half and half, and many of the pitchers were also interested in the sessions. But I did find it interesting how often I asked someone what they thought of the sessions, only the hear that they hadn't been to any—or had gone to one because that's where they could find a chair!
This is not a cheap conference. Not expensive as these things go, but not a pittance. And the sessions, in my experience, were very rich. If you wanna pitch, it's a great opportunity. But you're paying for those sessions too!
Thank you for visiting, bekbek!
Post a Comment