Friday, July 28, 2006

Blogger questions

I am putting together a collection of pics I took from my weekend in the woods, but it won't be ready for a while so I thought I would toss a couple of questions out there regarding Blogger.

First, Word Verification. When I first started my blog, a friend emailed to tell that I absolutely must enable Word Verification, because if I didn't my comments would be attacked by spambots advertising Viagra and Hot Womens and Nigerian Princes, and furthermore the milk would sour, the sun would stop in the sky and my computer would catch fire and. . . well, you get the picture. So I noticed some people use Word Verification and some people don't and I'm wondering. . . does it make a difference? Except to give posters one more thing to do when they post?

I notice that sometimes it's impossible to figure out what the damned swirly letters are, so I refresh until I get something I can cope with. Maybe I should turn it off and stop worrying until my milk actually does sour. Which may not be a good test, since it often sours before I finish the carton. Hmmm.

Okay, second. Did Blogger suddenly stop offering post editing functions, like the buttons above the edit window for text formatting and adding links as well as the different Edit modes. Because suddenly I just have a window with two buttons at the top, Check Spelling and Add Image, and nothing else. Is it just me, or is it everyone?

15 comments:

angie said...

I'm blogger impaired, but I can tell you that I don't bother with word verification. If I start getting smacked with spam, I'll reconsder that. So far, no problems. And yeah, sometimes the word ver. is damn near impossible to figure out.

Re. post editing. I only have Check Spelling and Add Image. I did some digging around in blogger help, and it looks like it's because I'm on a Mac & post editing doesn't always come up or work on Macs. Supposedly this is something they'll work on when they upgrade blogger. I'll believe it when I see it.

Bill Cameron said...

Okie, Angie, you talked me outa Word Verification. At least until someone else talks me into it again. (I'm not wishy-washy, really!)

I'm on a Mac too, but until about a week ago, I had all the editing functions. I use Opera for my browser (Blogger hates Safari, of course.) I used to use Firefox, but there's a lot about Opera I prefer. Maybe I will try Moz and Firefox and see what happens on the editing front.

Sandra Ruttan said...

I don't bother with verification - some times I sit there and try three, four, five times and then just say 'screw it' and move on. Sorry friends, but there's only so much you can do!

And sometimes, blogger just wigs out. Sometimes I lose my edit link, but refreshing usually brings it back, or logging out and then back in.

Or maybe you accidentally deleted your options? Hmmm hmmm? Mr. Decorative?

Bill Cameron said...

Ha ha, yes, if it's broke, prolly I'm the one what broke it! To use the vernacular of my youth!

But at least I'm purty!

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I have no word verification--most of them sound overtly obscene, or like character names and places from some bad SF piece. BTW, I love your guts! (Don't be too put off by the Uncle thing. I am not a guy.) You have a great blog!

Mindy Tarquini said...

Trust, but verify...

At first I didn't word verify. I got spam. So I word verified. Until the day I went ballistic trying to post a comment on my own blog. So I stopped word verifying, lit a candle and gave the problem over to G*d and Inky, the little voice that follows me wherever I go.

I've had about three spammy kind of comments since if I don't count the ones from the other Bunions.

So...I don't verify.

A free margarita at my new house to whoever can guess who I'm paraphrasing in the title to my comment.

angie said...

Please tell me you're not talking about Ronald Regan, Mindy. 'Cause that'd be gross.

Bill Cameron said...

Oh my gorsh, I think you're right! Ronald Raygun!

Bob said...

I don't bother with verification so far. I do get some spam posts but not too many and I just delete them as they appear. As for post editing I still have all the icons so I'm not sure why you don't. I'm on a PC.

Julia Buckley said...

If it makes you feel any better, I take all of my blogger cues from you. It was your great wisdom that taught me about site meter. Maybe if you'd like a recipe or something, I could help with that.

Bill Cameron said...

Heavens, Julia, I'm just making this up as I go!

mai wen said...

Okay, so you all converted me. I used to have word verification because there's nothing I hate more than spam, I like the size of my penis, thank you very much! I had not yet recieved spam in my comments, but was scared of it's impending doom. However, I don't want to make leaving comments a hassle for anyone, so I will disable the annoying word verification. :)

Yes, Blogger is very spotty with it's modification tools, etc. I agree.

mai wen said...

Of course one day after I turn off my word verification I get my first spam comment!! Ah well, it's only one, I'll stick with it for now. :)

Mindy Tarquini said...

Bill and Angie get the margaritas. Now they just have to get their backsides to my house.

Bill Cameron said...

Mindy, I am actually hoping to get myself down that way next spring! I will gladly bring margaritas!

Mai, sorry about the spam. So far, I have been untouched. But we'll see!